Last updated on August 4th, 2022 at 01:31 am
Do not miss out on your game with the best portable basketball goals, whether you are at home or plan to go out on a trip. A durable backboard to base and pole, portable basketball hoops can be adjusted as per the height and place you are going to mount it.
Things to consider before buying
Every part of a basketball hoop has its own part to play in providing ultimate performance and quality. Here are some of the most important factors one must not overlook.
This is the first and foremost feature to look for in a basketball goal as a good and high-quality base will be able to withstand the toughest of the games. A strong and sturdy base ensures a secure setup.
Portable basketball hoops have a base that is needed to be filled with a medium that adds weight to them and keep them standing tall on the ground.
There are two factors that add up to the stability of the base;
1. Filling material
Basketball goals are filled with two major mediums; sand, water, and water + gel mixture. All of these materials come with their own benefits and drawbacks.
- Sand is denser than water, thus adds more weight to the base.
- It weighs more per gallon that helps in increasing stability.
- Sand makes it harder to move the base.
- It is more time taking to fill and empty the base.
Using a funnel for filling sand helps in preventing spillage and it also saves time. Also, using “play sand” in place of regular sand is convenient as it is smoother and even.
Water is the most portable option for basketball goal base filling as compared to other alternatives. If you plan on moving your basketball hoops often, water is the best option to go for.
- Water is cheaper in comparison to other alternative filling materials.
- You can refill and empty the base as per the portability requirements.
- There are chances of algae growing over time if the water is not changed.
- In colder seasons, water freezes and expand, causing damage to the base, such as cracks.
- Water evaporates and leaves the base less stable.
- There are chances of leakage over time.
- Adding bleach to water help prevent the growth of algae.
- Adding nontoxic antifreeze to the water prevents freezing.
- Keep checking the water level overtime to ensure the stability of the base.
The special base gel is designed to meet the stability needs of the basketball hoop. The base gel is made up of an absorbent polymer that is mixed with water. The gel and water mixture becomes equivalent to the weight of several sandbags.
- Gel and water mixture base are mould-resistant.
- It is freeze-thaw durable.
- Gel base last years without leakage.
- The gel base is harder to empty for moving the hoop.
2. Weight of the base
Base capacity is an important factor while choosing a basketball goal for your personal needs. There are different sizes available for different purposes.
- Beginner hoops: 27 gallons
- Intermediate hoops: 35 gallons
- Advance hoops: 50 gallons
Different sizes offer different level of stability.
- Beginner hoops are designed to work best with plastic backboards that are lighter in weight.
- Intermediate hoops go perfectly fine with acrylic backboards, which are usually heavier than the plastic ones.
- Advance hoops with 50 gallons and more capacity are best for tempered glass as it offers the real feel.
A portable basketball base only is chosen as per the personal need and requirement for personal use.
Portable basketball goals come in various sizes and materials starting from 44 inches wide to 72 inches and more. Speaking of the portable hoops, going for an intermediate size is the best option as the best portable basketball hoop for driveway or backyard and garage.
There are three sizes that are considered to be standard for small, medium, and large.
- Small: 44 inches
- Medium: 54 inches
- Large: 72 inches
Small backboards are fine for kids and teenager or say, beginners. Whereas, 54 inches backboard offers better playability as compared to sizes smaller. For professional, high-end, and advanced basketball goals, 72 inches backboards are the way to go.
1. Backboard Material; Tempered glass vs. Acrylic vs. Plastic
Backboards are usually made of materials like tempered glass, acrylic, and polycarbonate. Let’s have a look at how they differ from each other when it comes to quality, durability, portability, and the game
- Polycarbonate, aka polyethene, is a fancy name for plastic.
- It is the cheapest backboard for basketball goals.
- Plastic is indestructible and can endure harsh treatment.
- The rebound is slightly duller than the acrylic in plastic backboards.
- Plastic looks cheaper and does not give an advance or professional feel.
- Acrylic is an intermediate backboard material that is slightly cheaper than tempered glass and a little expensive than plastic backboards.
- These backboards are transparent and offer a professional look.
- It picks up scratches over time as per its soft nature and texture.
- They are moderate or affordable when it comes to price.
- The acrylic backboard is lighter than tempered glass and heavier than plastic, which means they need a more stable base.
- It offers an average rebound response to the ball.
- Tempered glass is used as a professional backboard material all over the world.
- It is the heaviest material used for backboards that demand a solid base and pole.
- It offers the best rebound response making your game the best.
- Tempered glass does not scratch and lasts a lifetime.
- It does not change colour over time in the sun or various weather conditions.
- It is the best choice for the most “real feel” at home.
Playable backboard size, material and base combinations
Keeping the ratios practical and functional, here are some of the best combinations for the best portable basketball hoop for driveway or home use.
|Basketball hoop base||Basketball hoop backboard||Basketball hoop material|
|27 gallons||44 inches||Polycarbonate|
|34 gallons||50 inches||Polycarbonate|
|35 gallons||52 inches||Acrylic|
|40 gallons||54 inches||Tempered glass|
|55 gallons||60 inches||Tempered glass|
These combinations offer stress-free playtime for everyone in any kind of weather conditions.
2. Offset of the backboard
The offset of the backboard speaks for the distance between the backboard and the support pole. The smaller offset of the backboard easily crashes into the basketball post after a dunk attempt or layup.
Professional basketball goals offer an overhang of 4 feet to the least, whereas portable ones have a lesser overhang, which is not a problem if you are a beginner and just practising. For professional games, make sure to get the right offset measurements. For a professional game, the overhang must be deep enough not to be affected by any kind of game, or else you can always pad your goal post.
Every part of the basketball hoop plays its part in enhancing stability. A robust and stable supporting pole is important for a stable and durable basketball goal. Supporting poles come in various sizes and variable construction that directly affects the performance, such as;
- Three-piece poles have three joints and are cheaper as compared to other alternatives, but they do not overstable support.
- Two-piece poles are expensive, yet they are the most stable and durable.
Supporting poles also vary as per their fixation. For instance, cheap basketball goals have a telescopic pole that is fixed to 6 inches increments. Whereas more expensive and high-end, professional poles offer a screw jack adjustment system. Spalding basketball hoop parts can be adjusted with almost every basketball goal for home use. Spalding basketball hoop parts allow you a much easier height adjustment between 7.5 inches to 10 inches as per the requirement.
The basketball goal rim is the same for every hoop that is 18 inches in diameter. The difference lies in the attachment to the backboard.
Speaking of the attachment there are two ways.
- It is simple screwed to the lower backboard.
- This construction offers ultimate stability to the basketball hoop.
- Standard rim offers long rebounds and shots that bounce in and out.
- These rims do not allow you to dunk where all the force transmits to the backboard.
Breakaway Basket Rim
- These rims have compression springs.
- Compression springs dampen the bounce rate of the shots, offering soft touch.
- The breakaway rim is mandatory if you plan on dunking.
There are two variations for breakaway rims; cheaper variations come with exposed compression rims, whereas expensive and more durable rims have covered springs that also are rust protected.
Choosing the best portable basketball goals is all about personal preference along with essential factors that determines the durability, quality and performance of the hoop over time.
Top 7 Best portable basketball goals
1. LIFETIME 90040
- Backboard-Size: 44”
- Backboard-Material: High-Density Polyethylene
- Base: 27 gallon
- Rim: solid-steel rim
- Height: 7.5 – 10 feet
- The backboard is 44-inch polyethene made
- Steel pole ranges from 7.5′ 10′
- 27-gallon base
- Wheels to move easily
- Red steel rim
- Net is strong
- Seams can leak
- Unstable backboard with powerful shots
- It takes time to fill the base
Lifetime 90040 is a beautiful portable basketball goal in a dark theme. Its height is also adjustable. Its backboard has a very unique style. A 44-inch back is decorated with a dark basketball image and made up of polyethene.
The front end of the board is more clearer than the rear one. This is because of the edges of the boarding point towards the backside of the board. To make sure that your shots are on the target there’s an inner target border. The steel pole and the portable goal are round and divided into three parts.
It can be adjusted in the range from 7.5 to 10 feet. The colour of the steel rim is red and looks beautiful with the backboard. Rim is produced using steel. A white net hanging downward is very well pointed and helps you in scoring points.
You can fill your portable base with water or sand. Its capacity is 27 gallons. You can also move it using the wheels and set it into the position you like.
2. Silverback NXT 54”
- Backboard Size: 54”
- Backboard Material: Polycarbonate material
- Base: 30-gallon
- Rim: breakaway rim
- Height: 7- 10 feet
- 90-minute to install
- Authentic rebounds
- Resistant to bad weather
- Give you sufficient room under the rim
- A bit costly
Silverback is a trusted name in the world of basketball goal manufacturers. Solver back NXT is another product which has further promoted their name with its excellence. There are two designs available. One has a backboard of 50 inch and the other comes up with a backboard, 54 inches in width.
Its rebounding power is very good as compared to the other boards in this range. Transparent polycarbonate stuff is used in its production. Its rigidity is also increased as it can be folded in the backward direction.
You can easily join the rim with the rest of the parts while assembling it. A covered breakaway rim is used to make the chances of any damage minimal. You don’t need to worry about the bounce of the rim. It is kept up to the standards. Long-lasting martial is used to produce the hoop. That’s why it is so durable.
The base of the goal is designed keeping in mind all the frequent needs of players. It can store up to 30 gallons in it. A Stabilo frame is used to increase the strength of the base. Also, it makes it stable so that it doesn’t fall while you are taking the shots.
You don’t have to worry about the hoop. Enjoy all your dunks and even you can hang after a dunk. It is also easily moveable. Wheels make it so easy for you to place it anywhere.
3. SKLZ Pro Mini
- Backboard Size: 33”
- Backboard Material: Clear polycarbonate backboard
- Base: 42-gallon
- Rim: Breakaway
- Height: Height-adjustable 3.5 ft. to 7 ft.
- Easy to install
- Not that durable
SKLZ Pro Mini is a very underestimated basketball hoop system. It gives you all those features which are available in a bit costly systems. Spring action breakaway is there to reduce the probability of damage while dunking.
Board is constructed using transparent polycarbonate material. It is also a shatterproof board. 7-inch rubber basketball is also included in the package. The size of the rim is 14.5′ and it is reviewed as a professional-grade rim.
It doesn’t matter if any minor is playing or any adult wants to have some fun. Its portable height makes it perfect for all. You can increase or decrease the height from 3.5 feet to 7 feet.
The quality and weight capacity of the base is also up to mark. You can place it anywhere in your house or take it with yourself on a picnic. It is very easily manageable and you can transport it anywhere you like.
It is best for young players or even toddlers. Toddlers will learn at a very good pace. Also, it can be the main source of joy for them.
4. Portable Height – Adjustable Good Basketball Hoops
- Backboard Size: 28”
- Backboard Material: Hard-plastic backboard
- Base: N\A
- Rim: heavy-duty steel
- Height: 6.5-8 feet
- Easy installation
- Compatible with children
- Max height can be a bit high for children
If you want to see your children play professional basketball it is very important that they start now. This basketball system is perfect for the beginner. They can use it where they like. They can practice alone indoor or have it with them and play with their friends anywhere they like.
It is a portable and height-adjustable hoop. Easy to transport and compatible with children. Quality is not compromised while conducting this handy portable basketball system. Durable steel and polyethene are used as ingredients while making it.
Net can withstand any weather conditions. The base is good enough to handle the shots of the children. You can fill it using sand or water. It will go along with your children. You don’t have to change the hoop soon. With an increase in the height of the children, it will also increase its height accordingly.
5. Spalding NBA 54″
- Backboard Size: 54”
- Backboard Material: Acrylic
- Base: 34 gallons
- Rim: Pro Slam breakaway rim
- Height: 7.5-10 feet
- Amazing quality
- No labelled hardware
- Angles make it a bit difficult to move
- Need 6 hours to install
If you are an adult and looking for a hoop system that can provide you durability, stability and can handle your power, Spalding is the right choice for you then. It is composed of a backboard constructed using polycarbonate that is very durable.
Furthermore, Padding is excellent, it gives you the touch of arena style. Breakaway rim technology is also part of the package. It makes it possible for you to dunk without any fear. The exact height lift system is installed in the product to make it height adjustable. So now it’s not about your age, you can adjust the height accordingly and have fun.
Stability is never an issue while using it. It has a massive capacity of 34 gallons. You only have to fill it with sand or water then it is not going to go anywhere.
You can take it with yourself or move it on the wheels. There are two wheels to make it easy for you. You will have a feel of the professional game with it. The only issue with it is that it takes 6 hours to assemble it.
7. Spalding Youth One-On-One
- Backboard Size: 24”
- Backboard Material: Eco-Composite plastic
- Base: 1 gallon
- Rim: 10″ rim diameter
- Height: 32”-52”
- Fully set
- Easy to use
- Pro players had some issues with it
As it is clear from the name this basketball hoop system is best for young players. Its rim is made up of plastic and has a diameter of 10 inches. The backboard is also produced using plastic material and is 24 inches in width.
You can adjust the height of the pole to make it compatible with your height. It can change the length from 32 inches to 52 inches. Our research suggests that it is one of the most durable hoops. Yet light in weight and easy to move.
The base has a capacity of one gallon which is a little less. But according to its size, it is a perfect match. You only have to fill it to make the system stable and use it then as you like.
It can be used inside and outside of your home. The only reason why it is underrated is that it is not much suitable for pro players.
Best Portable Basketball Goals come in all the price range, models, types, and designs to offer more professional game.
Our only goal to design this review is to make you capable of choosing the most suitable portable basketball hoop system for you. There are many systems available in the market with different types of features and formations. Often it is very difficult to choose the best when everyone has a claim of being the best.
We have made your job easy. Now you just have to read all the reviews carefully and select the system with the features you need. Good luck with your hunt!
1. Do basketball hoops have wheels to move?
Depending on the model and price, there are all types of basketball hoops available in the market. All the portable hoops most of the time have a wheel which makes it easier for the user to move it around without emptying the base.
2. How can I choose a durable backboard?
The durability of a backboard for a basketball hoop is more of what type of game you are going to play. Plastic backboards are cheaper in price but are capable of withstanding weather conditions. Whereas, acrylic comes in the middle when we speak of durability. It is a little expensive than plastic but gives a high-end feel. For a real game, tempered glass basketball backboards are the most durable, strong and sturdy.
3. Do rims have a universal size?
Basketball rims are of the same diameter, 18 inches. The only difference lies in the placement of the rim on the backboard along with the way it is attached. There are two ways to attach a rim to the hoop. The standard rim is screwed to the lower backboard, whereas, the breakaway rim has compression springs.
4. Are NBA hoops 10 feet?
NBA hoop is 10 feet just as a standard most regulated size hoop. Whereas, the size can be adjusted as per the requirement if you have the model that comes with adjustable hoop sizes.
5. Can we dunk on a portable basketball hoop?
Yes, with the right combination of the backboard, rims, supporting pole, and the base, you can have a real game with the best portable basketball goals. Water and gel mixture base filling, with a tempered glass backboard and breakaway rim setting you can achieve a professional game.