Last updated on August 4th, 2022 at 03:47 am
A pilot watch or aviation watch is a good option for everyday casual wear. Now a day, these watches have such a huge variety that it becomes necessary to research before buying.
WHICH CHARACTERISTICS TO LOOK FOR WHILE BUYING IT?
When you have decided to buy a pilot watch, then go through this quick guide that separates a pilot watch from other watches.
- Legibility: The dial must be large and highly readable with very clear hands, big Arabic digits, anti-reflective coating and a high-contrast legibility.
- Accuracy: The pilot watches must be accurate, up to milliseconds. Just like the accuracy of their cockpit navigation tools, all the pilots need accuracy in their watches for a combat mission.
- Luminosity: The aviation watches must be highly illuminated to enhance readability for their night missions.
- Durability: A pilot faces fast changes, extreme air pressure, severe heat, G-forces, magnetism, cold in his cockpit and hence requires an aviation watch which must remain in one piece.
- Dual Time: It must have dual time function – to track multiple time zones (GMT and local).
- Oversized Winding Crown: As the pilot wears hand gloves, there is a need of having a large winding crown and riveted leather straps instead of a bracelet.
- Chronograph: This can be a valuable addition to a pilot’s watch, but not recommended due to its complexity.
7 BEST PILOT WATCHES UNDER $200
Here is the list of seven best pilot watches which you can buy under $200.
1. Citizen Eco-Drive, Chandler Field Watch – Model BM8180-03E
- This mens pilot watch is round in shape and has analog display.
- The case diameter is 37 mm, which also has date-day display window.
- This automatic pilot watch has a stainless-steel body with canvas strap and a buckle.
- It has a green canvas band; whose width is 7.5 inches and made up of nylon.
- This watch converts natural or any artificial light into usable energy, which is stored in its lithium cell.
- It recharges itself automatically and continuously.
- The watch is water resistant up to 100 meters water depth.
- The watch has glowing hands and mineral crystal markers.
- This Citizen watch comes with a 5-year warranty.
- The watch is light weight and does not feel heavy on the wrist.
- It runs continuously forever, even in darkness as no battery replacement is required.
- It can be worn while taking shower.
- This watch is best suited to water sports professionals like swimmers.
- Its winding side screw fits tightly to save water entering in watch.
- At this price, this may be one of the best affordable pilot watches.
- A variety of bands having different colors and material can be found online.
- Its size is quite small.
- The band is somewhat not wide.
Citizen is one of the leading pioneer name in manufacturing watches for over 100 years. This Citizen men’s Chandler watch is very stylish and ideal for an active lifestyle. It is a perfect choice for sportsmen. The watch never requires any battery, thanks to its Eco-Drive technology – which converts any light, whether from natural or artificial source (sun light or any indoor light) into usable energy. The surplus energy is stored in its built-in cell.
It is no doubt one of the best pilot watches by Citizen who is manufacturing Eco-Drive technology for over 40 years. It has round shaped, stainless steel dial with three hands (hour, minute and second) and date-time window. Its weight is 7 ounces and water resistant (330 feet). The hands and markers are made of Japanese quartz, are luminous and shines in darkness. Its green color canvas band is 7.5 inches long with adjustable buckle.
Finally, the watch comes with a 5-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. Casio Men’s Watch “Edifice” – Model EF527D-1AV
- This Casio watch is round in shape with stainless-steel dial and analog display.
- The case diameter is 45.5 mm and has a date display window at 3 o’clock position.
- It has a silver band having width 22 mm. Its clasp is push-button with fold-over.
- The watch is water resistant up to 100 meters and is written on the dial.
- This pilot style watch has 3 sub-dials with 12-hour, 60-minute and 60-seconds display.
- The watch has an analog display with date display window.
- It has metal (chain) bracelet style band with fold-over push button clasp.
- You can wear it during a shower or swimming.
- Three sub-dials give this watch an impressive and technical look.
- It is light-weight and weighs only 27 grams.
- The watch has an added stopwatch function.
- While using its stopwatch function, the minute hand does not move forward once for every minute, but continuously.
- The luminosity of the dial is not much sharp and impressive.
Casio is a world-wide well-known company for developing innovative technology for pocket calculators. This Casio “Edifice” multi-function Chronograph watch has 45.5 mm stainless steel case with mineral dial window and 1/20th second Chronograph function. This function is used for measuring and calculating time, speed, fuel consumption and more.
The watch features three sub-dials with 60-second, 60-minute and 12-hour display. Due to these three sub-dials, the timepiece gives a technical look. There are push-buttons on both sides of the watch along with a screw crown on the right side. It has silver color hour markers and hands, powered by quartz movement. The watch is water resistant up to 100 meters, which is written on the dial. Its strap is stylish, like a chained bracelet to hug the wrist with three-link and fold-over push-button clasp. Casio is always moving time forward.
3. Seiko Men’s Watch – Model SNN241
- This aviator automatic watch has stainless-steel case with 42 mm display.
- It has a good quality brown leather strap with double-locking buckle and push-button release.
- It has Japanese quartz movement with Hardlex crystals.
- This quartz pilot watch has two chronograph sub-dials.
- It is water resistant up to 100 meters, mentioned on the dial.
- This Seiko has luminous white hands with hour markers.
- The date display window is at 6th hour position.
- It has 3 push-buttons on the right side.
- A battery-operated pilot style watch. The battery lasts for 5 years.
- Its sword-like two hands give a unique, impressive and a cool look.
- Seiko original scratch resistant material than the standard mineral glass.
- The strap is padded and stitched, which feels comfortable on the skin.
- Its water resistant (100M)
- The watch has a stop-watch function.
This may be one of the coolest aviation watches by SEIKO. It is practical and a well-designed watch with no unnecessary accompaniments on the dial. Whatever is on this watch, serves a valuable and important purpose.
The two sub dials are smoothly blended with the main dial having a dimeter of 42 mm. The watch uses Seiko’s Hardlex, which is a more scratch resistant material than the usual standard mineral glass. It has a bigger look due to its stepped dial depth and semi-glossy finish. Its brown dial gives a stunning look with black dials.
The water resistance is 330 feet (100m), which is one of the favorite features for the youth having an active lifestyle.
4. Seiko Men’s Automatic Watch – Model SNK809 Seiko 5
- This Seiko pilot watch is round in shape with stainless-steel case.
- This is a 21-jewel automatic movement watch with analog display.
- Diameter is 37 mm and has date-day display window at 3 O’clock position.
- It has a black canvas nylon band having 7.75 inches length with fixed bezel.
- Its water-resistant rating is 100 feet (30 meters).
- The watch uses Seiko’s Hardlex, which is a more scratch resistant material than the standard mineral glass.
- Its skeleton case back makes this watch unique.
- Suitable for swimming and over the surface sports.
- Its water resistance is only 30 meters, which is below standard.
- The skeleton case is on the back and not visible from the front.
This Seiko gmt watch under 200 dollars has a stainless-steel case with a 21-jewel automatic movement, having week day and date display window at 3 o’clock position. It has an analog display with the black canvas band having a fixed bezel. The dial is black and hands are quite luminous with Arabic digits and hour markers. The 5-minute interval minute marker is on the outer rim. Its scratch resistant feature uses Hardlex crystals with 40 hours of energy reserve.
5. Times Intelligent Quartz Fly-Back Chronograph Watch
- This Timex pilot watch is round in shape, having diameter 43 mm.
- Its brown band is made up of genuine leather and stitched.
- The dial is bi-directional hands to measure time and fly back.
- It has a unique Electroluminescent technology, which illuminates the watch at night by pressing a crown button.
- It has 4-hour chronograph measure during travels and camping with 2nd time zone.
- Tan Black dial with date window between 2 and 3 o’clock position.
- The covering of the watch dial is mineral crystals.
- It has 100 meter water resistance rating.
- The watch is battery-powered which lasts around one year.
- The watch has built-in trademark ‘Indiglo’ night-time illumination Timex technology.
- A very nice sporty steel mesh band and has a very solid feel.
- Its battery needs to be replaced after every one year.
- The band is less cool and gives a look of cheap aviator watches.
This Times Intelligent Quartz Fly-Back Chronograph Watch originally designed for pilots. The watch’s fly-back option is useful for pilots. By pressing a single button, you can stop, reset and then restart the chronograph.
By pressing another crown button, you can activate its Electroluminescent technology, which illuminates the watch in darkness with indiglo night-light. The watch has a tan-black color with Arabic digits with 2 reversing subs-dials like the dashboard gauges of a car.
This Timex piece is really elegant and matches either with three-piece formal suit or jeans. It is quite comfortable on the wrist with an excellent polished finish. The leather band is thick and has stitched style. This is definitely a watch to consider under $ 100.
6. Chotovelli Men’s Airliner Aviator Watch 100
- The dial is made of high-grade 316 stainless-steel, case size 45 mm.
- This aviator pilot wrist watch is shock-resistant and has Tachometer.
- It has a vintage stitched strap having width 20 mm.
- Powered by Japanese quartz movement with scratch-proof mineral glass and anti-reflective.
- It has one big crown in the center on the right side.
- The watch uses a battery having life around 2 years.
- It has 100-meter water resistance rating.
- The watch comes with one-year warranty.
- Suitable for outdoor activities, sports, swimming and other water sports.
- It has a mechanism to protect it from water pressure.
- The watch is fashionable and can be gifted to friends and family alike.
Chotovelli is a 3rd generation Italian professional watchmaker company. Since 1920, the company has engineered military pilot watches inspired by the Italian car an aviation industry.
This Chotovelli watch has Italian style, but with Japanese technology. Its stainless-steel case with jet-black 45 mm 3D sandwich dial and easily readable analog display make this one of the best aviator watches. This black pilot wristwatch can survive extreme changes in pressure and temperature. It is also protected from magnetic fields. Its SuperLuminova illumination makes a unique Military pilot timepiece.
7. Flieger Men’s Pilot Watch – Model 1919B
- This pilot watch is round in shape with surgical grade stainless-steel matt-finish case.
- It has an analog display with 44 mm diameter.
- It has a black vintage suede genuine leather stitched strap.
- The timepiece has two dials – inner dial is for an hour and outer for minutes.
- The covering of the dial is mineral crystals.
- It has 100-meter water resistance rating.
- The state-of-the-art quartz movement is like an automatic movement.
- It is stylish due to inner hour dial and outer minutes dial.
- It does not have day-date window.
The Flieger watches were industrialized during World War II. This Flieger wrist watch is an aviation watch, especially developed for fighter pilots. The main focus of a pilot is readability and accuracy up to milliseconds. It has layered luminous dial. The quartz movement is reliable of the highest quality, just like automatic movement. The watch is suitable for swimming and other water sports, as it has 100 meters water resistant rating.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Which watch pilots actually wear?
Normally pilots wear a GPS enabled watches. According to a survey, G-Shock and Garmin are one of the favorite brands that pilots wear. Pilots do not wear luxury watches.
- What does 100M water resistant rating means?
It means that your wristwatch is suitable to wear during washing hands, swimming, sailing, snorkeling, other water sports and raining. But not suitable for diving.
- Why do some pilot watches have a triangle?
An up-right highly luminescent triangle with two dots is located at 12 o’clock position, which enables a pilot to immediately notice the 12 o’clock indications in one glance.
- Why are pilot watches so big in size?
Yes, these watches are over-sized and have large dials, so that pilots can quickly glance the time without any hassle in any situation.
- What is a chronograph in pilot watches?
A Chronograph watch is a type of cool pilot watch, which can be used as a stop-watch in addition to its basic watch functions. The stopwatch has separate dial.
- Why do the pilot watches have leather strap?
Due to extreme weather conditions in the cockpit like heat and cold, metal strap may be harmful for pilot’s skin. A leather and thick strap is better than a chained one.
- Why chronograph watches are so expensive?
Generally speaking, these watches are expensive, because the watch manufacturer has added an extra complication with more functions and crowns.
- What are Skeleton watches?
Skeleton watches display the movement of inner parts of a watch. People like to wear it due to its unique design and complicated movement.
- Are pilot watches EMP proof?
EMP means Electromagnetic Pulse. This pulse is generated when a nuclear weapon explodes. The answer is most likely No.
- Do pilot watches have a Tachymeter?
No. Tachymeter measures your speed in miles per hour. Other expensive aviation watches may have this feature.