Last updated on March 15th, 2021 at 11:17 am
Clearing snow on small to moderate surfaces is not a task anymore with a biggest single stage snow blower. Giving a professional touch to your small to moderate spaces single-stage snow blower offers the best performance, quality, and durability.
Things to consider before buying
Not necessarily, every blower offers the best optimal working performance. Adding oomph to your snow blower at the best price along with ultimate working, it is crucial to look for the features that create the whole difference in making any snow blower for small spaces.
The first and the foremost, you need to understand that a single stage snow blower is specifically designed to get done with small spaces. If you are looking for something compact that can move a moderate amount of snow from your driveway without having the need to carry large equipment, a single stage snow blower is what you need.
Types of single stage snow blower
Single stage snow blowers are the best for home use. Single stage snow blower for light snow and home use can be categorised depending on their performance and also the power source.
Performance & Design
A standard good quality and performance snow blower for home use must come with at least of these specifications that help in getting the best optimal performance.
|Single stage snow blower||Entry-level||Mid-grade||Professional|
|Engine||Lighter engine||Powerful engine||Commercial-Grade|
|Snow Height||Up to 6”||Up to 8”||Up to 8” and more|
|Best for||Smaller driveways or occasional use||Smaller to moderate driveways||Driveways to sidewalks and landscapes|
|Features||Basic||Chute levers, speed adjustments and more||Thrower features and more|
|Cost||Less expensive||Moderate price||Relatively high|
Coming to the power source, there are a few types that can offer the best performance depending on the type of work and place you live.
- Corded snow blowers are best for smaller driveways.
- They can throw up to 700 pounds of snow per minute.
- They need a cold-weather extension cord and an outlet to give power to the machine.
Coming to cordless single stage snow blowers, there are two types that offer different performance depending on their type and power source along with capacity.
- Battery-operated snow blowers
- Gas-powered snow blowers single stage
We have compiled a comprehensive comparison for battery operated and gas powered snow blowers to make it easier for you to choose what best suits your needs and requirements.
|Battery operated||Gas powered|
Two-stroke vs four-stroke
Stroke refers to the number of stages or cycles a cylinder or crankshaft have to take in order to complete a single power stroke.
Difference between two-stroke and four-stroke engines is mentioned below.
- It requires mixing of the oil with the gas in exact amounts. The oil acts as a lubricant for the crankcase.
- It takes on a full revolution that equals 2 stages to complete 1 power stroke.
- Due to fewer moving parts, these engines require less maintenance.
- They offer less power and torque.
- These engines have separate compartments for oil and gas that eliminates the need to mix oil and gas.
- It takes two revolutions, that is, 4 stages, to complete one power stroke.
- They are fuel efficient and environment-friendly.
- It offers more torque as per the requirement.
The question of single-stage vs two-stage snow blower, personal preference plays a crucial role in determining the best performance.
Where finding the best snow blower for large driveway and smaller ones mainly depends on the specs and features, but looking out for add-ons offer versatility.
- Snow blower cabs – it offers a decent shelter to the machine in adverse weather conditions.
- Clean-out tool – it allows you to remove excess ice and snow from chute adding comfort and convenience.
- Snow-blower tire chains – it offers better traction for engine powered snow machines making manoeuvring easier.
- Snow blower floor mat – it helps protect your surface from the damage like scratches, water, and stains.
- Covers – covers offer protection to your blower from dust, rain, and other elements that can cause rust.
Whether you are getting the best single stage snow blower for wet snow or the fluffy one, having additional accessories is always a win-win when it comes to price and performance.
Top 3 picks for the best single stage snow blowers
|Briggs & Stratton 1222EE||Power Source: Gas Powered|
Item Weight: 114 Pounds
|Honda 659760||Power Source: Gas Powered|
Item Weight: 93 Pounds
|Snow Joe SJ625E||Power Source: Corded Electric|
Item Weight: 35.7 Pounds
1. Briggs & Stratton 1222EE – best overall snow blower
- Power Source: Gas Powered
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 36.5 x 23.25 x 24 inches
- Item Weight: 114 Pounds
- Colour: Red/Black
- Engine Type: 4 Cycle
- Engine displacement: 250 Cubic Centimeters
It is the most efficient when it comes to light to moderate snow. It is specifically designed to get done with tough winter conditions. Its uncompromised power and displacement provide easy and efficient work performance. With its patent-pending SnowShredder Serrated auger that moves heavy snow more conveniently.
2. Honda 659760 – best powerful single stage snow blower
- Power Source: Gas Powered
- Item Weight: 93 Pounds
- Colour: Red
- Engine Type: 4 Cycle
- Engine displacement: 187 Cubic Centimeters
- Maximum Throw Distance: 33 Feet
- Voltage: 120 volts
This gas powered single stage snow blower is very light in weight, compact, durable, and high-performance that offers the best working in almost every kind of environment.
From its powerful four-stroke fuel-efficient engine it produces less emission. Its electric start feature eliminates the hassle of starting the gas engine in cold weather.
3. Snow Joe SJ625E – best budget snow blower
- Power Source: Corded Electric
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 40.6 x 23 x 42.5 inches
- Item Weight: 35.7 Pounds
- Colour: Black
- Voltage: 120 volts
- Snow per minute: 800 lbs
Light in weight yet powerful for driveways and sidewalks, this blower is the best for home use. Snow Joe Electric single stage snow thrower comes with a powerful 15-amp motor that is capable of removing or throwing 800 lbs of snow seamlessly. Besides performance, it offers the best construction; rubber blades with a snow-clearing capacity of 21 inches wide and 12 inches high. Its 180-degree, adjustable snow direction discharge chute throws snow up to 20 feet away that eliminates the need to clear snow afterwards. Working in low light is made easier with this snow thrower with LED light.
Overview of runner up snow throwers
- The best self propelled single stage snow thrower – Poulan Single Stage Snow Thrower
- The best lightweight gas snow blower – Husqvarna Gas Snow Blower
- Best Snow Blower For Large Driveway – PowerSmart Single Stage Gas Snow Blower
- Hybrid single-stage snow blower – Toro SnowMaster 724 ZXR
Coming to finding the best snow thrower in the market, it is important to understand your personal preference. Different snow throwers are designed to offer different working performance, which means to get the most out of your next purchase, go for the one that best suits your needs and requirements. You may have to compromise the performance over convenience or vice versa when it comes to snow throwers. Heavy-duty snow throwers are a bit expensive and heavier than light, compact and moderate snow blowers.
How much snow can a single stage snow blower handle?
Knowing that a single stage snow blower is designed for smaller to moderate driveways and sidewalks, which means they offer adequate performance. Single-stage snow throwers can clear snow of 12 inches or less in the most efficient manner.
What is the best single stage snow blower?
Talking about the best snow thrower, the performance and quality vary as per the price and personal preference. For smaller, compact, portable and efficient working performance, Briggs & Stratton 1222EE and Toro SnowMaster 724 ZXR are the best when it comes to quality, durability, and price.
What factors determine the best snow thrower?
Generally speaking, there are a few factors that cannot be overlooked while making a purchase for your next snow clearing machine.
- Personal preference
- Type of snowblower
- Power of motor
- Surface construction
- Depth of snow
- Steering control
- Chute and snow throwing type
These are some of the important features that one must look for in a snow thrower to enhance working, portability, and durability.
Can a snowblower be used on a gravel driveway?
Depending on the type of blower you are going to purchase, it can work perfectly well on the gravel surfaces. For instance, a two-stage blower offers the best snow clearing for gravel surfaces as its auger does not touch the ground, which makes it safe for such surfaces.
What is the best snow thrower for a gravel driveway?
Speaking of the price and performance, TROY-BILT VORTEX 2490 is the best snow thrower for gravel driveways.