Last updated on June 16th, 2022 at 04:05 pm
For older people, walking is known as the best low impact exercise to stay fit and active. Walking and Jogging can be done by staying at home with Treadmills without getting out of your comfort zone. Treadmills provide many health benefits for seniors like improving cardiovascular health, boosting memory, plus they don’t have to work harder to stay fit and active.
Buying a Best Treadmill for seniors can be easy if you consider following features like; Cushioning, Durability, Belt size, Weight capacity, Speed, Incline, Safety.
Features To Consider Before Buying a Treadmill for Seniors
Some other important features for Best Treadmills for seniors could be;
Treadmill cushioning is one of the main features to consider for seniors.
- High density rubber material is used in this and also lowers the joint impact on the body.
- Proper cushioning provides protection to the joints specially.
- If you can increase your budget a bit, then some expensive treadmills provide much better air cushioning systems rather than the cheap treadmills.
- Variable cushioning (type of cushioning) provides a firmer surface which is at the back of the track (basically where you push off the track) plus a softer surface at the front (where you land).
- The durability of the machine is the basic feature to consider, it is important as well. Manual treadmills and the cheap ones do not offer much durability and features.
- Before buying, ensure that the Treadmill have long hand-rails for better support, LCD Display to keep you updated about the speed and your heart rate.
- Moreover, do have a calorie burning counter and heart rate monitor so you know that how much you need to maintain more.
- Should have sturdy tread belt so the grip stay maintained and also lasts longer.
- If you are walking on a treadmill or just jogging, then specific belt size is not necessary. It matters when you are tall in height.
- For taller ones, the running belt will be about 54 inches long for running and 52 inches long for walking purpose and 22 inches wide for both.
- For walkers, the common size of the belt is about 46 to 50 inches long and 13 to 16 inches wide.
- For Runners, the length should be 50 to 54 inches and 16 to 18 inches width.
Every Treadmill got its own different maximum and minimum weight limits. Different weight capacities of a Treadmill are;
- Some of the Treadmills have the maximum weight capacity of 400 lbs.
- The minimum weight capacity is about 200 to 220 lbs.
- Heavier and larger peoples should consider this point the most for safety measures and select a treadmill by keeping their body weight in mind.
- Speed is a key feature of a Treadmill and can be adjusted during a workout depending on which type of exercise you are planning to do.
- A Treadmill with more options of speed settings can provide more flexible and different kind of workouts.
- The maximum speed of Treadmill is ranges between 10 to 12 mph.
- Jogging is done on a speed of 4 to 6 mph and Walking speed ranges between 2 to 4 mph.
- 5 mph speed is considered mostly for running purposes.
- Lower speed settings are preferred mostly for seniors as they want light jogging or simple walks on Treadmill.
Most of the Treadmills have different incline settings which allow changing the angle of the running belt slightly, due to which it seems that you are running uphill.
- Home Treadmills mostly have 10 to 12% of maximum power inclines.
Benefits of Incline
- Incline mode is helpful in reducing the impact on joints.
- This mode is really effective for muscle toning.
- It burns the calories faster as compared to walking on zero degrees.
- For safety measures, long handrails are preferred more for seniors, so that they have a support while walking or jogging.
- Seniors can lose balance while jogging, so the stop card (also called safety lanyards) feature should be considered while selecting a Treadmill for seniors. Its benefit is that if you slip from the track, the track will automatically stop moving.
1. Sunny Health & Fitness Walking Treadmill
- Steel Material
- Weight – 123 Pounds
- Multi-Grip Handrails
- Low Wide Deck
This Treadmill comes with Low wide deck and Multi-Grip Handrails which provide better balance. Have transportation wheels which allow easy movement. The dimensions of the treadmill are 58 x 29 x 53. It is light weighted having weight of about 123 pounds.
- Super clear instructions
- Large walking base
- Light weighted
- A bit noisy
2. UREVO Foldable Treadmills for Home
- Corded Electric – Power source
- Speed Range – 5 miles per hour
- Deck Width – 16.5 inches
- Under Desk Electric Treadmill
- 12 pre-set programs
It is an Under Desk Electric Treadmill having dimensions 38.2 x 55.2 x 27.8 inches. Size of the Treadmill Belt is 45.7x 16.5 inches. The weight capacity that the treadmill can bare is 260 lbs. 12 programs are already installed in this device which allows different speed settings. The output power this treadmill used is about of 110 V.
- LCD displays and phone holders
- Easily foldable
- Cover less space.
- Takes time to setup.
- Doesn’t have incline mode.
- Too much noisy.
3. NordicTrack T 6.5s Treadmill
- Material used – Steel, Plastic
- Weight – 203 pounds
- Have Bluetooth connection
- Dimensions – 54 x 36 x 73.5 inches
- 3 Horsepower
It comes with OneTouch incline mode control 10% and also with Smart OneTouch speed control 10 mph including iFit. The trainer you hired adjusts the speed and incline mode of your treadmill by a Bluetooth connection. This treadmill consists of a Smart Response Motor which gives effective speed, endurance training and intervals.
The running belt size is 20 x 50 inches which provides you a lot of leg and elbow space while running. Moreover, it has Flex Select type Deck cushioning which allows protection of joints. Easily foldable comes with Space saver design which gives easy lift assist. User capacity is about of 300 pounds.
- Space saver design.
- Easy lift assist.
- Compact storage.
- No digital features.
4. T Series 6.5 Si Treadmill
- Steel Material
- Weight – 0.1 kilograms
- Dimensions – 54 x 36 x 73.5inch
- Weight limit – 300 pounds
- Max incline – 10%
- Length of Deck – 55 inch
- Screen size – 10inch
- 10 miles per hour – Speed Rating
The dimensions of the Treadmill are 54 x 73.5 x 36 inches and the weight is about 0.1 kilograms. Comes with a Touch screen which size is 10 inches and can control the speed and incline mode (which is 10%) by touch system. It gives the speed rating of about 10 miles per hour. Consists of 55inch deck length which provides large area for running. About 300 pounds weight this treadmill can bare.
- Too Sturdy.
- Easy to use.
- Quite heavy.
- Can’t use headphones.
5. XTERRA Fitness TR150 Folding Treadmill
- Material – Plastic
- Weight – 108 Pounds
- Running surface – 16 x 50 inches
- 5 inch LCD display
- Speed range – 0.5 to 10mph
- Dimensions – 63.4 x 51.4 x 28.75
- Horsepower – 2.25
- 50inch Deck length
This treadmill comes with a large (16″ X 50″) running/walking surface. It also consists of a large 5 inch LCD display due to which it is easy to read and also keeps you updated on speed, time, incline, calories, distance, and pulse. Average speed range 0. 5 -10 mph allows users to test all fitness levels. It consists of 3 manual incline settings which give maximum and various varieties.
- Moves smoothly.
- It is very quiet.
- Sturdy and well-constructed.
- It’s heavy.
6. MaxKare Folding Treadmill
- Power Source – Corded Electric
- Speed – 8.5 miles per hour
- 15 pre-set programs
- Dimensions – 53.39 x 45.95 x 26.18
- 17inchs Deck width
This Treadmill is designed for people between 4.6ft -6.2ft in height and weighing less than 220 pounds. The built up size for this treadmill is 53.39 x 45.95 x 26.18 inches. Folding size of the treadmill is 28.47 x 26.18 x 46.42 inches. Its weight is about 91LB. The running speed is from 0.5 to 8.5MPH. It has a 17 inch wide Multi-layer tread belt.
- Easy to assemble.
- Occupy a lot of space.
If you are buying a Treadmill for seniors then the features listed above is most important to consider. The main thing to ensure that the treadmill must be easy to use and safe. Treadmill helps you to stay in shape and that ‘show you can keep yourself healthy even in old age by staying at home.
Increasing your budget a bit can facilitate you with a high quality treadmill with more and advanced features. In our recommendation Sunny Health & Fitness Walking Treadmill is the best option because of its multi-grip handrails, size, design, safety and other features.
Is a treadmill safe for elderly people?
As the person passes more age, the body starts to become less active, feeble and stiffy. The treadmill is an efficient way for seniors to stay fit, healthy and active. Maintaining a routine of 15 to 30 minutes on the treadmill will help in physical activity.
Can a 60 years old walk over treadmill?
After the age 50, the body enters a phase where it needs constant healthy activities otherwise; the health can decline in a great manner. The adults aged 60 or above can walk over treadmill, and it can help in recovering from stress, diabetes and arthritis.
How long should an elderly person stay on the treadmill?
In the beginning of exercise, start with a normal pace and shorter time about ten minutes would be enough for first week or month. As the body endures the process, increase the time gradually, take it to 15, 20 then up to 30 minutes per day.
Do treadmills use a lot of electricity?
The consumption depends on the model of treadmills for seniors. The range has a lower of 280 watts, and a higher of 928 watts. The belt speed likewise significantly effects the power consumption, lower the speed then lower will be electricity consumption and vice versa.
What is the best time to use treadmill?
A research report (Pros. Research 2011) claimed that the best time to use the treadmill is in the afternoon, i.e., 3 to 7 p.m. This is because the lungs at this time functions most robustly.
Can you lose belly fat by running on a treadmill?
It is not impossible to lose belly fat by running on a treadmill but the real effort behind this need to be consistency, by maintaining a proper routine, for a reasonable time would subtly cause the loss of belly fat.