Self monitored home security system has brought a revolution in securing your home with the most convenient and least maintenance equipment. Buying home security needs consideration of factors that contribute to better protection.
- 1 How does a self monitored home security system work?
- 2 Choosing the best smart home security system
- 3 Best Self Monitored Home Security System
- 3.1 1. SimpliSafe – Best Cheap Home Security
- 3.2 2. Vivint – Best Overall Home Security
- 3.3 3. Cove Home Security System – Best Touch Screen Home Security System
- 3.4 4. Frontpoint Home Security – All-In-One Security
- 3.5 5. Blue by ADT Home Security System – DIY ADT Security
- 3.6 Pros
- 4 Verdict
How does a self monitored home security system work?
A smart home security system uses similar equipment and mechanism to one that is professionally monitored somehow. Whereas in smart home security systems, when an alarm is triggered, rather than alerting the monitoring centre, all the notifications and alerts are sent directly to you through a smartphone app, although it can also be done via text message or phone call in some situations.
A smart home security system features a central hub that uses radio frequencies to communicate to the numerous sensors wirelessly. The hub then uses an internet connection to communicate with your smartphone. The sensors transmit a signal to the hub when there is any motion detected on the window or door is opened or someone moves around, inside or near the sensors.
Choosing the best smart home security system
To make the best of your home security, wisely pick the system that offers the best features along with reliable security at an affordable price.
Here are some of the factors you must not overlook while upgrading your home security or getting a new one.
To evaluate the amount of security that is appropriate for your family, consider issues such as the crime rate in your area, the size and layout of your home, and whether you want protection simply while you are out or also while you are at home.
Self-monitored systems are the most affordable as they do not require monthly subscriptions. That isn’t to say there aren’t any charges. You may have to pay for cloud storage to access the recorded video if you add cameras to your security system. Some businesses additionally charge a fee for access to the app, which is necessary for self-monitoring.
Consider a system that can interact with other smart home devices and systems, such as Amazon Alexa, Google House, or Apple HomeKit, especially if you’re planning to automate your home now or in the future. Most self-monitored systems allow you to control hundreds of devices from your security system’s hub, such as door locks, thermostats, and light bulbs. Some systems employ a proprietary protocol that only works with that company’s home automation equipment.
DIY or Professional
The majority of self-monitored home security systems are wireless and meant to be simple to set up. Only a few companies provide professional installation, so if you want an expert to do it for you, make sure you choose one that does it well.
Best Self Monitored Home Security System
Speaking of smart home security, you will find variable options from cheapest to high-end, professional, and DIY equipment you can choose one as per your convenience.
1. SimpliSafe – Best Cheap Home Security
SimpliSafe is a low-cost DIY home security system that’s simple to set up and doesn’t require a long-term commitment. It features a modest range of smart home devices that would suit most people looking for a DIY security system at a reasonable price.
- Does not require a contract
- Easy installation
- Convenient to use
- Wifi and cellular connectivity
- Limited home automation
- Camera selection is limited
- No face detection
- The starter pack does not have many components
2. Vivint – Best Overall Home Security
Vivint is a wireless, full-featured home security system that is properly installed by a trained expert. You cannot do it yourself with this product. Instead, a professional will visit your home and install a system specifically for you and your family’s needs and requirements. You get in-home consultation by an expert security adviser is complimentary, and the outcome will be a system that is individually suited to your requirements.
- Professional installation
- High-end equipment
- All-in-one app support
- Additional components can be added
- A bit expensive
- Limited third-party smart home devices
- Subscription for mobile app access
3. Cove Home Security System – Best Touch Screen Home Security System
The Cove Protect is the latest addition to the increasing number of smart DIY home security systems that professional monitoring. A 7-inch colour touch-screen hub provides a cellular link to a 24-hour monitoring centre as well as all of your installed sensors in this configurable system. It installs in minutes and comes with a variety of customizable pricing plans and reasonably priced components. It also performed well in our tests, with quick response times. It’s a good DIY system, but it doesn’t have as many add-on features as the SimpliSafe Security System, which took first place on our list.
- It is very easy to install
- You can customize it as per your needs and requirements
- It offers a larger touch screen panel for better visuals
- Speed response time
- It requires a premium subscription for a mobile phone app
- Does not support IFTTT applets
4. Frontpoint Home Security – All-In-One Security
You either have to compromise one factor or feature for another to get the system that suits your security requirements in the best possible way. Its simple installation technique, responsive sensors, and great range of components attracted are highly appreciable, but its contract restrictions and pricing is not. Frontpoint has upgraded its hub and added some new package names and options, but it still has a lot of security and home automation features. With Frontpoint, you’ll have to pay more for monitoring than with SimpliSafe and Wyze’s home security systems that are more affordable DIY systems, but Frontpoint does not bound you with contracts like other home security systems.
- Comes with an easy and quick installation set-up.
- It offers you a wide range of components to be added to your home security system.
- Supports Google Voice Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Do not require a contract.
- No IFTTT support.
- Monthly plans are a bit pricey.
5. Blue by ADT Home Security System – DIY ADT Security
It’s a full-featured DIY home security system that offers self-monitoring or you can also hire a professional to do it for you. The system can operate a variety of Z-Wave home automation devices and works with Alexa and Google voice services. It also interfaces with its counterparts by ADT smart devices using IFTTT applets, unlike others. It’s also straightforward to install and administer, with reasonably cost components and monitoring.
- It is easy to install.
- ADT offers affordable self-monitoring.
- It supports Z-wave and voice control.
- Unlike most security systems, it offers compatibility with other third-party devices.
- It does not have Homekit support
- Cameras are a bit pricey (but worth the price)
- The keypad is not backlit which makes it a bit difficult to work in the dark.
Finding the best home security system is not a task if you are aware of personal preference and also the features that contribute to making any system the best for home security. For one or more features or specifications of your choice, you may have to compromise other features, but balancing out what you need to what is not your priority, you can customize your self monitored homes security system at affordable rates.
For more related articles, CLICK HERE.